Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Joy of Visual Feedback

And we are done. Well, not done done as we say here at bwin Games, but more or less done with the testing of our new component TRS. Today I started working on collecting all the sessions I have written and checking them into Subversion. From there my colleague Per's fantastic php-thingy does it's magic and I can see how many minutes we spent on setup time and on testing time. All the data can then be moved to Excel where we have a nice cross-point diagram where you can see how much we have tested in different areas. Had we done a proper risk analysis during the sprint planning we could also have shown how much we have tested vs. how big the risk is. Unfortunately we didn't do this, but we have had discussions with dev about where to focus our attention, so we might be able to work with that somehow. I guess we learn as we go along. One important lesson I learned is that we need to keep the Playbook alive during the sprint and update it with changes so that we can migrate the risks correctly.

But it is so awarding to see all your testing being transformed into useful data! You can actually see that you have been doing something for the last three weeks! When we were running scripted test cases in regressions I had no confidence that I had tested enough. You somehow forgot what you did the first week, and it is only what you do during the last week in regression that shows for anything. Now we have a track record for the whole sprint.

So with this happy feeling I am going out in the sun for some ice cream. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment