Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Testing with your programmer

It has been way to long since I shared my thoughts here, which is a shame because the last half year I have had been thoughts about testing and software development. I just had a really nice experience so I thought I just share it.

So, one of the teams has rewritten some functionality, which affects more or less everything. They came to me 2 days ago saying happily as always "We're done!" I started testing and after 30 minutes I had like 15 bugs so I decided they needed some more time. Same thing happend yesterday. And today. Starting to feel that this is not very productive I asked if one of the developers could join me when I was testing, some good old pair testing. After half an hour the developer had written done at least 20 new bugs. But this time he had seen it for him self, what I did to make it happen. And it was really good having him by my side because of course he saw things I hadn't noticed. I really have to start doing this more, especially when it is an iteration that keeps dragging out because new bugs pops up everywhere. Also when you have IE-browsers always acting strange, it is far more effective having your programmer next to you.

4 comments:

  1. That's a very nice observation! I do the same where I work. We call that a 'combat-test' session. 2-4 Programmers and I are testing each others features. If one of us finds a bug, you have a very quick feedback from the programmer which implemented the buggy feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also using the approach like you described.

    I call it (m)TDD: (Manual) Tester-Driven Development ;)

    ReplyDelete